Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lost on Sunday afternoon!

With the nice weather I started walking around our Condo. Parks, the Beach, lots of walking/bicycle paths, which I have enjoyed tremendously since living in Ottawa.

From our balcony we can see Mud Lake, one of the best Conservation birding areas in the Ottawa region. It includes ponds and swamps. Home to snapping turtles and numerous bird and flower species. The twisted bushes of the wetter areas makes good cover for migrating birds, While the open waters attract many water birds, including night herons, blue and green winged teal and wood ducks.



I had wanted to go and explore the area, but walking alone I am not that daring. Today it seemed there were quite a few people with camera's and binoculars, turning into the semi closed area. So I ventured in made sure I'd memorize the paths, which were all over the place. Boy, it was gorgeous and so peaceful. But... I got lost, with the trees being so tall, I could not see our condo's. I met a couple who were also kind of lost, so they were no help to me. The paths became very wet swampy like, I was wearing sandals, not particularly fitting for the occasion! I could hear people in the distance, but going that way meant getting of the path. Since I don't know too much about plants like poison ivy, I did not think it wise!


Anyhow, I kept plugging along and eventually got out of the park's exit (somewhere way at the top right hand of the picture, the one taken from our balcony). I came home after an hour and a half, I was tired to say the least. But because it was so beautiful there I do hope to go again! 


Mud Lake

No comments: