Thursday, November 04, 2010

Ottawa! I'm loving it!

I went to get some groceries today. So? You might be saying right now!

I have mentioned so many time how much we love it here, we really do. Of course, we are closer to our kids that's a big plus, but I love the city as well, especially where we live, everything is close by. We love our apartment, house cleaning does not take much. The fact that I have to go one floor down to do the laundry does not bother me either. I run out of loonies very quickly though. I faithfully take a couple flights of stairs every day to get my heart pumping!

But..... here it comes, the store clerks, not very friendly. For instance: lately I have been buying ready made salads, everything is in there, just great for the two of us. I asked the "salad stocking clerk" do you have this salad without onions? (I hate onions!) She answered very snippidy: "No, they are Greek salads they are supposed to have onions!" I wanted to say,"don't chew my head off, good grief!" It would have been nice if she had offered an alternative, so when I came home I had to quickly pick out all the pieces of onions before they contaminated the whole salad!

Than the cashiers (a lot of them) seem to hate their job or so it seems! After all, it is because of us customers they have a job!

The other day I was in an international store where I buy Dutch cheese, I have yet to meet a girl/lady in that store who is friendly. So after I paid I said to this pouty faced girl: "Now keep that smile on your face!" The guy in line behind me started grinning, but the girl did not move a muscle on her face. I thought you poor girl, what's wrong with you! Going through life not just with a glass half empty, it's totally empty!

I meet a lot of people in the elevator, I say:" Hello" or what ever, but usually I have to be the instigator of the greeting. Oh we have this book called "How to make friends and influence people!" With out a doubt a great book!

Yvonne said the other day that a person can loose the art of social skills. She might be on to something. Lets face it, some people are not born with it. Do you think all those politicians were born with that smile and fake interest in people? Well.... think again!

3 comments:

Yvonne Parks said...

Remember how I'd talk about culture shock here in Ottawa? This is what I'm talking about. We in Winnipeg take for granted being friendly to everyone. Manitobans are just friendly! Ottawa....not so much. Now, they ARE out there...but it's not part of Ottawan culture like it was in Winnipeg.

Trudy said...

Hmmm, interesting

Trudy said...

Hmmm, interesting