Friday, April 06, 2012

Time for some "Tips"


When I was a teenager and we did laundry (by hand), we actually boiled our clothes, yes we did, in a galvanized tub that was placed on the gas stove!
We as Dutch people took our laundry days very serious. White with white alone, light colored by it self and finally dark clothes. If by chance you combined some items that was like "taking the lords name in vain!"
We than would proudly hang our "white" belongings outside on the clothes line for all the neighbors to see what an excellent job we did!

When I was 16 and my dear Mother passed away, she had groomed me to do it exactly like her. Trying to take the boiling clothes and sheets out of the tub (to use the suds again for the colored items), was very tricky. Never mind that, they had to be hung outside, summer and winter!
I knew then already what real chapped hands felt like, hahaha!
How come our whites came out like whites (with out the modern machines?) We soaked them first in washing soda. Or we might even have thrown some in during the boiling time, (that I can't remember).

Here comes my tip: To get your dish cloths really, really clean and germ free? Bring water to a boil add some dishwasher detergent (I always use the powdered just for that reason) and your soiled cloths, let it boil for a minute and let sit for half an hour or so, rinse well and voila, clean, and so clean my Mom would be so proud of you!

Second tip: Add some to your washing machine, the amount you'd use for a load of dishes. When I wash my whites like that with "Hot" setting please!!!!! I need to put on my sunglasses when I am folding them, hahaha! Ted's T-shirts come out totally clean. Yes, and then I proudly iron them!

Tomorrow I have another tip for you!

No comments: