Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My tip for keeping cheese from getting moldy!

  A year ago we had my sister Bertie over from Holland. She had such a good time and is still talking about it. Of course when she came she brought along a lot of Dutch treats and presents for everyone. Knowing my love for Dutch cheese she brought me several kinds, but I especially liked the aged Dutch Gouda cheese. I would use it sparingly to make it last as long as possible. Each kind was vacuumed packed. 


Then a few months later she wanted to mail me an other piece.(It is so much cheaper and tastier in Holland) She took it to the post office and was told that this euro 3.50 piece of cheese would cost 17.00 euro's to mail. Realizing that at home she had a whole bunch of stamps lying around.She told the lady she had an other idea and glued all these stamps around this package and sure enough it landed in our mailbox. Mind you the grease was oozing out inside the plastic, hahaha! I wiped it with a paper towel and  kept it in a clean paper towel and a Ziploc bag. I discovered that the cheese never got moldy as long as I kept it wrapped up like that. Well, I have been able to keep cheese using that method ever since. I go to the Dutch store here in Ottawa for my treat, mind you it cost three times as much as what Bertie pays for it, to me it is certainly worth it still. I use it sparingly and every day I savor every bite along with a few crackers, a piece of  75% dark chocolate and my tea!


So my tip for you is: Wrap your cheese in a paper towel and Ziploc bag and it won't get moldy!





No comments: