Monday, September 12, 2011

Apple picking!


Saturday, Yvonne, the girls and I went to an Apple Orchard in Orleans. First of all, it was a perfect day for that and I have never done that ever (in an orchard that is). It was an experience that's for sure. You don't do it to get a bargain hahaha! We had a lot of fun though. The girls really got the hang of climbing those trees. Some were shaped so odd, reminded me of a tree we had in our back yard in Winnipeg. I kept on chopping branches off, (I went about it the wrong way though, that tree became a real disaster).

Back to apple picking: We all got a plastic bag and with some instructions were sent on our way!. I saw all these hundreds of apples lying around and felt bad taking them off of the tree. Yvonne kept saying: "Mom that is the whole idea - that you pick them!"
"Such a waste" I thought (remember, I am Dutch and went through a war!) Finally Yvonne said something very profound, hahaha! "Mom", she said: "They feed the fallen ones to the animals - horses love apples." Now that took away at least some of my guilt and I went merrily on my way, that is, picking apples off of the trees!

When the girls were much younger I got permission from our Winnipeg neighbour to pick crab apples from their tree. The girls and I went with buckets and I told them they could help me make applesauce. I took them through the whole process including putting it in containers, mark them and put them in the freezer. I dare say that Oma's apple sauce (according to them) is the best.

Now, I am not able to make too much since I don't have a large freezer in our apartment.






They look yummy, don't they?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After you eat the newly picked apples, you probably don't like the ones from the supermarket
Nelly