Friday, August 05, 2011

Cheese from Holland

When my sister was over from Holland in April, she had brought me some real "aged" Gouda cheese, which I absolutely looooovvvvve. It took a month or so after she had left for me to finish it. Nope, no sharing with anybody. (Besides it is rather strong, even Yvonne did not like it, I felt obliged to let her taste it!) When she and I were in Holland we'd go to the cheese store and sample before we'd buy a piece (that's what they do there, because of the many varieties and cheese makers).

About four weeks ago Bertie called me and asked if I'd received the cheese she'd mailed. I said: "You didn't, that'll cost you a fortune!" She had gone to the post office and asked the lady how much it would be. Now this was may be 400 gram worth 2.50 euro. The lady looked at Bertie with large eyes, translated into:"Are you crazy?" She weighed it and said: "Very expensive all the way to Canada that will cost 18.00 euro!" Bertie replied: "You know what, my sister is going to get this cheese, one way or an other!"

Bertie remembered she had a whole bunch of stamps at home, she took off with the lady staring after her. Bertie plastered the right amount of stamps all around that piece of cheese. Then took a trip back to the Post office on her bike. Bertie told me, you should have seen the look on her face! When she saw all those stamps, hahaha!
The cheese was in our mailbox the day Bertie called me. A good thing it was vacuumed packed, the fat was oozing out inside the wrapping, hahaha. But I am savoring it one small piece at the time. That should last me for a while.

How do I make my cheese last so long with out it walking around in the fridge from the mold?
I wrap the cheese in a paper towel and than in plastic wrap. When the paper gets greasy I replace it. Believe me the cheese will last. By the way, I thought of that my self!!

I do not like any meat but I love cheese and I like a variety, so it has to last and my way is the only way!

No comments: